Looking for a way to add space to your home? The answer may be right beneath your feet in the form of a basement remodel!
There is almost no easier place to add functional, livable, and useful space to an existing Portland home than your basement. Key infrastructure like plumbing and electric wiring is generally already in place. Plus, you likely won’t need any additional major construction in your home, saving time and money.
We’ve collected some of our favorite ideas for Portland basement remodels in this month’s post to give you a sense of all the possibilities for your basement finishing project.
Guest Bedroom Suite
Love hosting friends and family and wish you could not feel cramped while doing so? Consider turning your basement into a guest bedroom suite.
A guest suite will allow your guests to feel fully comfortable while staying at your home, as they’ll have their own private unit all to themselves.
All it takes is a few additions (and a little bit of tasteful design) to build a whole new unit in your home.
- Living Room – Since most guests staying in this suite will be visiting you and spending time upstairs, this does not need to be extravagant. A simple space with a sofa, TV, and coffee table will be perfect for their time spent here.
- Kitchenette – Similar to the living space, your guests will likely be doing all major cooking and eating in your home’s main kitchen and dining room. A small fridge, sink, microwave, and table are the perfect amount of appliances and furniture for your guest suite’s kitchenette.
- Bedroom – A small room with a queen bed, bedside table, and a simple dresser are all that is needed.
- Bathroom – We recommend a full bathroom so your guests will not have to go back and forth upstairs to shower and use the restroom.
- Make sure to check local codes for egress window requirements for bedrooms.
Bonus: A guest suite can also be rented out on Airbnb to bring in a little extra money if needed.
Who doesn’t love a game room? Generally featuring a pool table, foosball table, or other games, this room will provide a fun place to host a game night with friends or family.
With game rooms, the most important thing is to have a place that will represent you and your family. It’s for your enjoyment, after all!
Some fun ideas we love for a game room include:
- Pool table
- Ping pong or foosball table
- Bar with high top chairs
- Tastefully wall-mounted TV
- Sofa or reading chairs
Love working out but can’t seem to find time to make it to the gym regularly? Add a home gym to your basement!
In addition to saving money on gym membership costs, home gyms allow for a deeper integration of fitness into your lifestyle. You can put the exact machines and weights you prefer in your home gym, and you’ll never have to wait in line to use them. It also will encourage fitness for your whole family!
Some fun features we’ve seen people put into their home gyms include stereo systems, wall mounted TVs, and juice bars.
Have your children taken over your living room? Hate stepping on legos and toys and want to get back to enjoying your living room? Consider turning your basement into a playroom!
Playrooms offer a number of benefits, including:
- Easy to manage playdates. Playrooms offer a central location where your children and their friends can play. Basements, in particular, offer a great place for playrooms as there is only one exit, which you can keep an eye on from upstairs.
- A tidier home. Since all toys and gadgets will be kept in this one room (we can dream, right?) and not scattered around your home, it will be easier to keep the rest of your house relatively clutter free.
- Better sleep for your children. Now that toys will be in the playroom, their bedroom will be free and clear of distractions at bedtime. This will create an environment encouraging better sleep as now their bedroom is only for sleep.
- Encouraging responsibility. A playroom will allow your children to have their own space they must take care of and keep clean, encouraging responsibility and exploration of their interests.
A fun (and functional) addition to your playroom are bunk beds.
Not only can bunks add a cool and funky element to your playroom, but they also provide additional sleeping space for when your children have friends over for sleepovers. It’s also great for when family is staying over or you just need a place for a quiet nap.
Are you a wine lover? Add a wine cellar to your basement!
Wine cellars control the heat and humidity of a contained cabinet or room so your wine is kept in an ideal environment for proper aging. Whether you have an existing wine collection you want to keep safe from fluctuating temperatures, or just love wine and want to have some available in pristine condition for yourself or guests, a wine cellar is a perfect addition to any wino’s home.
Wine cellars can be built as part of another room, such as a game room, or as a stand alone climate controlled room built specifically for aging your wine. You could even add a wine lounge as part of it to have a place to relax, unwind, and drink a glass of your favorite vino!
Do you work from home (whether full or part time) and have trouble getting anything done surrounded by distractions? A home office can give you a space meant for productivity and focus.
With a home office, you can set up your work area as you’ve always dreamed. Your basement is an ideal spot for a home office, as it’s quiet and separated from the rest of your home. It can even provide a place for your children to have a space to do their homework.
Additional Benefit: Add an elegant futon so your home office can double as an extra bedroom. It will also provide you with a relaxing place to read while working.
Movie buff? Maybe you and your family bond over television and you want a place you can all unwind and take in the latest episode every week? Why not add a home theater to your basement? While it may sound like a big project, it’s actually a lot easier than it seems!
All you need for a movie theatre experience is a projector and screen, tiered seating, and some comfortable couches. You could also add some fun elements like a fridge for drinks and a popcorn machine for a mid-movie snack.
Looking for A Trusted Home Design Team for Your Basement Remodel?
There are so many directions to take your Portland area basement remodel! Make sure you’re in good hands.
We love working on all types of basement remodel projects, and love collaborating with homebuyers on their dream basement finishing projects.